Reading and Writing Workshops

In fourth grade we read, read, read!  The adage is that, in fourth grade, we begin to “read to learn,” and that is definitely true!  Students will be assessed for their “independent reading level” early in the year, and they will have plenty of time to read in class and at home every day.  We will work on comprehension skills, as well as developing inference, seeking evidence to support theories, and connecting with characters.  My biggest joy is watching the love of reading grow in kids, and through book partnerships and book clubs, students will have the opportunity to read and share books all year long.

In addition to reading, we will be writing across genres as well.  Students will write fictional narratives, persuasive and personal essays, informational essays and writing about literature.  I know that students come with varied writing experience, and I will work with them on developing the skills strong writers use to convey clear thoughts.  Writing is challenging for many students, but my goal is to build their confidence and enjoyment.  I ALWAYS appreciate parent support during the writing workshop, so please let me know if you would like to help our young writers grow!